Louisville Academy, the public high school in Louisville, found a way to make their gym even more purposeful in December 1952.
Already “being used as a school building, meeting place and colliseum [sic],” according to The News and Farmer, it picked up another use:
“During the past week “Louisville, Ga.” along with the longitude and latitude of the city, plus an arrow point northward, was painted in bright yellow characters atop the local gym.”
The News and Farmer had heard reports that it was visible from 15,000 feet.
Sources: The News and Farmer – Dec. 11, 1952